Today’s sketch was pretty good, a big improvement and I think it has to do with the new method of lines across the face when sketching it out which I mentioned in the How can I improve the other day. Today also had more work on a small game job (art and layout!), I will give a shout out to where it can be found once it is finished and the kind kind man says I can. Also had some stuff that I posted onto da’plus in a new collection called “Nicholas stole his sisters necklace“. Then I also came up with an idea regarding improving my dungeon mapping skills, make maps in some minor free time then once I have about 8 or 10, put them into a creative commons download pack for people to use commercially (but need to credit me for the map). I will do at least one pack, if it works out and I enjoy it or something, then it may become a thing.
The Fourth! an expression face
For today I did another quick google image search for a face and found this one, I love the expression. And, upon looking into it, it looks like yesterdays sketch was the same person and I didn’t even know it. Makes me feel a little like a creep, or maybe google images just has her floating to the top of the results? Thanks google, now I will be seeing if everything connects… it is a conspiracy? Nah, its just someone really good at expressing emotion using funny faces named Cara Delevingne.
So, what did my sketch turn out to look like?
What I liked: The eyes look really really really good this time. Using the line method I mentioned yesterday really made the face itself overall a huge improvement over the last couple faces I have done. But, I am proud of those eyes. Really proud. I also think the lips are some of the best I have done? Like, they don’t look like ripped or stretched bandaid elastic this time…
How did I improve: The eyes, the eyes are the biggest improvement that is visible. The hair looks better than the last, more strand-y? But the eyes win.
What I dislike: The face looks “off”. Probably a combination of width along where the jaw curves just below the ear and that it is too tall? From chin to forehead it just looks too tall. So, a mix of skull proportions resulted in this looking off. The nose also isn’t really close to me, it is too round? Not wide enough in some aspect but also the wrong general shape. Nostrils are not the right angles too.
How can I improve: for the nose, I am thinking looking at the nose and sketching out some general shapes then erasing till it looks good may work. Like, there is a curve here, lightly sketch a circle or a full curve, it is kind of a trapezoid overall feel draw a trapezoid. Draw those shapes till it seems well positioned as to where it should be on the face. Then lightly draw over these shapes using them as visual guides, all the while staring back and forth between the book and the reference image. For the face proportions, I think the line method I used with the eyes would help, if the eyes look great, then use them as a unit of measurement to kinda measure the face, lightly line it then do a few more, erase whichever one isn’t is. If it is close but still off, draw 3 more lines, two inside and one outside, erase all but the closest. Repeat.
I used to play rpgmaker games all the time, I love them so much and they will always hold a dear spot in my heart. They also hold a tiny couple gigs of hard disc space on my laptop, and my own abandoned game files will always be a distant dream to finish something of substance and release it for free. So, all of today’s shout outs are games that are available for free (Windows only) and were made with rpgmaker.
- Ib; oh man! I am pretty sure everyone in the rpgmaker community knows of most of these, but everyone knows about Ib! Little girl gets trapped in the world of a weird artists paintings and sculptures in a museum. She has to solve puzzles and explore to escape. Such as, giving an ant a painting of itself. Or running away from mannequins, avoiding the shadows on the wall, otherwise claws may reach out and take you. It is highly recommended by everyone I know that plays these types of games, plus I recommend it too! If you don’t want to play, you probably could find a huge number of Let’s Plays of it on YouTubers. Or you could download it from here.
- Schuld (English Translation); it has been awhile since I played Schuld. But I do remember the body parts falling off, the people who sell their body parts to those that are sick so that they can eat etc. It is a really dark setting. It was originally in german only, but then someone went along and translated it. So you can now grab that download from here.
- Yume Nikki; trippy bicycle girl in a dream diary thing anyone? It has so much fan art and almost a cult like following. Probably because it is hecka trippy weird. It can be downloaded from here. If you like weird, surreal ish stuff, go give it a try. Again, it is free so go wild!
- Middens; and then there is middens. While Yume Nikki is, as far as I can remember. A little lighter graphically? Middens is almost straight up scary disturbing really bad depression fueld drug trip. But, visually being this way is a really good reason to give it a shot, give it 15 minutes, if you don’t enjoy it, you will still be able to appreciate it. So download it from here.
- It Moves; I have not played through much of It Moves, probably because I always die when a giant floating head gasm scary monster thing jumps me in the underground right at the beginning ish area! But, based on just that bit alone, I have re-downloaded it and will be trying to “get good” and beat it. If you want to give it a try, it is about a small boy and scary stuff from what I remember. download here.
- Stray Cat Crossing; This is the only game on this list that isn’t free. But it is really cheap and well made! I can’t rightfully describe it (I guess none of my descriptions really have described much?) so go watch this trailer and then decide if it is worth it. It can be purchased for like $3 on Steam!
Now onto music, what should you listen to. Oh! I know!
- “From a Closet in Norway (Oslo Blues)” – You+Me (2014)
- “Kill the DJ” – Green Day (2012)*(such an addicting song…)
- “R U Mine?” – Arctic Monkeys (2013)