If you weren’t already in the know, then here is what there is to know: Runaway Hirelings Ultimate Peasant Edition has a playtest packet and you can check it out right now.
Here is the base premise of the game (as described in the rules):
“Here you are, your bosses are dead on the floor, blood pooling under their cloaks and mighty swords. A shattered wand is spread like used toothpicks all around the big bad guy. They led you in, they defeated great monsters and solved complex puzzles to reach this, the treasure room. THE RUMORED FORTUNE!
Gold, jewels and the most magnificent fabrics. But, they could not have been prepared for what would wait here, protecting such delicious riches. They fought valiantly, you cowered behind a rock, they were hit with mighty fists, and you hid behind a rock, and they suffered the blasts of explosive magicks! And they died just as the boss monster did, but you survived, hidden behind a rock.
But what now? You have gold in your packs and have buried your heroes, tears have been shed (maybe), and now you must flee back from whence you came. You must run away as fast as you can back to the entrance.
Hopefully the path out is easier when you blindly flail your way forward!”
Playtest Packet Contents
In the google drive folder (https://goo.gl/8gbsvy), there are the following documents:
- The Hireling’s Handguide; everything that a player would need to know to play the game.
- The Dunarch’s Manual; all the extra information that the Game-Master or referee needs to read before running the game,.
- The Needlelands Dungeon Template; a short template for playing a session set in the Needlelands caverns.
- The Cheater Sheet; think of this like how the basic moves for a powered by the apocalypse game are presented. It is a during play rules reference, also works great for getting new players into the game quickly. One for each player printed out should work well.
- Character Sheets; 7 half sheet character sheets which have the information for each type of hireling on them. These are used and referenced during play by everyone. On set printed out should work fine.
besides that? Oh yeah!
I am Playtesting!
Yes, that is right, play this game! Send me feedback! Tell me all about it! Shoot emails to me!
Also, I will be running games at a moments notice. Specifically, on Saturdays, I’ll post and ask if anyone wants to play this game! If we get some people, we play! But there are other days too, so here is the playtest schedule as it stands:
- Wednesdays; 6:30PM EST to 8:30PM EST start time. I will be aiming for at least 2-4 Players besides myself for this game. I’ll make the post at the beginning of the week and then reshare it on the day of the game. Games should last 2 to 3 hours in length.
- Saturdays; 8:00AM EST to 8:00PM EST start time. I will run games for at least 2-4 Players besides myself. I’ll make the post the beginning of the week (Monday) and then reshare it on the day of the game. Games should last 2 to 3 hours in length.
- Other Random Times and Days; I can run the game 1-on-1 for a single player. If you want to play (just like with all the other times and dates, follow me on Google Plus). It’s fun and awesome! These type of games are best condensed down to about 1 hour in length, but it is a good shot of Role-Playing to scratch that itch. Or send me a private message there and we can set something up!
So yeah guys! This is getting closer and closer to the light at the end of the tunnel. And it feels soooooo worth it!
A couple days ago I released for all to see the current playtest documents for the new edition of Runaway Hirelings. I have gotten some good comments so far and words are still being added to each of the two documents, I am hoping to start doing some playtesting over the next couple weeks to try out a bunch of the new rules and mechanics.
If you would like to take a look at the new rules, go check out the playtest folder over here.
I am still adding text to each document as I make changes to things along the way, I will use this blog post as the updates/changelog for this current revision as I go about things.
- Having just finished playing a 1-on-1 game of Runaway Hirelings. I have decided that the final text will have a section on accommodating 1-on-1 style play.
- Rewrote some rules in the Hireling’s Handguide (specifically the one involving refusal to answer a question posed by the rules).
- Also added “Creating Characters” text to the Hireling’s Handguide document.
- In the Dunarch’s Manual the “Starting the Game” section has been expanded so that the questions before the game are better explained and what their purpose is, is more clearly defined.
- Also the “Dungeon Template” section at the end of the Dunarch’s Manual has been filled out a little more. Enough to supplement the information that was explained earlier in the Dunarch’s Manual.
- Added the Needlelands Dungeon Template to the playtest packet.
- Added a PDF called the “Cheater Sheet” which helps with quick referencing the basic player rules during play.
- Made this blog post
- Writing more in the Dunarchs Manual to finish up the blank areas