This is another one of my small sketchbook sketches done with pen, this time of a peasant being attacked by a globb like monster.
Here is a quick sketch I did of this cool hacker guy who is from the distant future of the 80s, a cyberpunk city maybe?
Last post for this morning of back catalog sketches…
I can’t find the original for this one … Sorry!
Again, critique for this weird week will be on Sunday!
Ahhhhhh! Another back post! There are like 4ish more I think?
7 of 29… woo!
I will do the critique for this image on Sundays roundup post! The original image can be found here.
This game requires two pennies
I started a community on the plus some months ago called “Orbit Above’s Guild of Creative Invention” and have started posting more game design excercises or brainjumps on there. One of them was about a short game I came up with on that day called “this game requires two pennies”.
The original post was a quick exercise I came up with (I think I did at least? I haven’t seen it elsewhere so…?).
“Hack this Scribble; someone posts a short game. Each person can hack it by adding a rule (big addon, but doesn’t edit previous text), changing a term (changes all of x word to y), or changing a paragraph (rewrite or modify a paragraph). These can be done to the main post, or in a comment calling back to someone else’s comment.
If I find a better way of doing this, I’ll let you know. So lets call this an experiment.
Today is: this game requires two pennies”
Some of my favorite responses…
Caitlynn Belle: “change penny / pennies to turtles.”
Josh T. Jordan: “Every time you play, add one more penny. Before making your choice, set one penny to heads and one to tails. Flip the rest to determine whether they are heads or tail.”
Josh T. Jordan (again): “Replace the word “moment” with “person.””
I haven’t been posting those darn sketch-a-days, so I am a bit behind. Will be catching up though! In which case, I will be posting a bunch today, one with the regular content and the other with some writing I guess (by some writing I don’t mean that their will be 16 shout outs today, but the regular number and then a bunch of back images with some creative writing alongside it that is unrelated to the image but just something I came up with in this moment).
6 of 29
Only in Secrets
“If we spoke only in secrets
Would I hear your spoken words?
Can you understand a completely unrelatable tragedy?
Would I understand an unrelatable and impossible to reference response?
Can words be foul enough to tell all but leave us without words to explain what is said?
We go back and forth in unrecognizable rhetoric and extreme speeches.
About things which are disastrous and disproportionate but all the while rational,
but how can we know?
How can we know anything other than confusion when we speak the loudest words?
What phrase could I give back that would reveal as well as grant understanding?
When we talk in secrets alone, no one can or will understand over the deafening and empty revelations.”
This came about yesterday, something about confusion when you only talk in unrelatable speech, which is in itself a secret. But what if the purpose is to enlighten someone or reveal a secret that is itself unrelatable? No language barrier, it is the words itself which are lost upon a person, the content. And when you ask for what is not understood and are just met with more of the same in response, how do elaborate or give examples when both people are pushing?
Alright then! Busy busy busy! Well, I have been a bit underwaether/not-feel-good-like so my energy levels have been not too stellar. But! Female faces need sketching! So here we go right into it…
This time we have some shortish hair and a different mouth shape. I have started a new pinterest board just so I can organize all of these subject images, so you can go check out the original image over on Pinterest here. As for the sketch…
What I liked: The mouth shape (not the teeth), the general shape of the nose (but the right side looks off, too straight of a line?, too much shadow?). The eye and hair look good. I think I am actually getting pretty good at doing eyes, also this sketch took a lot less time than previous ones, I think that it is pretty easy to notice that just be how the hair looks.
How did I improve: The eye is crazy close to the image. Like, mind boggling for me, the only way it could be closer is if the rest of the face was spot on. The lips for the mouth are a huge improvement from yesterdays or the before its. Mostly because it actually looks like it curves and isn’t a misshapen sticker. It curves along the surface of the face properly.
What I disliked: those teeth are awful, they just make me think of a beaver. Like, the original image looked great! But, my teeth look not so good. Probably because I haven’t drawn many teeth hidden by lips or as part of a smile?
How can I improve: continue the line technique. For the teeth, I think it is just a matter of practice, make the gums less dark than the inside of the mouth, make the teeth have the appropriate shapely-ness of teeth. So, curve in the right place and straight in the other. For hair, I think I cut it too short in time, or was in too much of a rush. It didn’t help me that her hair was almost white blonde against that background to the right. For the nose, better shapely-ness? Have a tone across the entirety of the face so that I can have highlights.
Shout Outs, Games I just bought
Since the steam sale is ending on July 4th I bought a splurge of games last night (I have missed the last few sales or didn’t see anything worth getting so this is big news). I got:
- Stray Cat Crossing
- Alice: Madness Returns
- Don’t Starve Bundle
- Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
- Tital Souls
Contest! Win a Vidya Germ!
In celebration of my splurge on Steam, I am going to run a contest. I will draw two names based on whoever comments on this blog post, the first name will get to choose to receive either Don’t Starve Together* or Stray Cat Crossing on Steam. The second winner will receive whichever was not chosen by the first, either way, free game am I right?
To enter, just post a comment and tell me about the last session of a tabletop rpg you played/GM’d!**
I will draw the winners on Tuesday morning (the 12th!). If you win, I’ll send you an email (to comment on the site, you have to enter an email address which is not made public but will be visible to me).
*If you choose Don’t Starve Together, we could go on steam and not starve together!
**I wasn’t feeling good, so I didn’t GM this week, help me live vicariously.
Today’s sketch was pretty good, a big improvement and I think it has to do with the new method of lines across the face when sketching it out which I mentioned in the How can I improve the other day. Today also had more work on a small game job (art and layout!), I will give a shout out to where it can be found once it is finished and the kind kind man says I can. Also had some stuff that I posted onto da’plus in a new collection called “Nicholas stole his sisters necklace“. Then I also came up with an idea regarding improving my dungeon mapping skills, make maps in some minor free time then once I have about 8 or 10, put them into a creative commons download pack for people to use commercially (but need to credit me for the map). I will do at least one pack, if it works out and I enjoy it or something, then it may become a thing.
The Fourth! an expression face
For today I did another quick google image search for a face and found this one, I love the expression. And, upon looking into it, it looks like yesterdays sketch was the same person and I didn’t even know it. Makes me feel a little like a creep, or maybe google images just has her floating to the top of the results? Thanks google, now I will be seeing if everything connects… it is a conspiracy? Nah, its just someone really good at expressing emotion using funny faces named Cara Delevingne.
So, what did my sketch turn out to look like?
What I liked: The eyes look really really really good this time. Using the line method I mentioned yesterday really made the face itself overall a huge improvement over the last couple faces I have done. But, I am proud of those eyes. Really proud. I also think the lips are some of the best I have done? Like, they don’t look like ripped or stretched bandaid elastic this time…
How did I improve: The eyes, the eyes are the biggest improvement that is visible. The hair looks better than the last, more strand-y? But the eyes win.
What I dislike: The face looks “off”. Probably a combination of width along where the jaw curves just below the ear and that it is too tall? From chin to forehead it just looks too tall. So, a mix of skull proportions resulted in this looking off. The nose also isn’t really close to me, it is too round? Not wide enough in some aspect but also the wrong general shape. Nostrils are not the right angles too.
How can I improve: for the nose, I am thinking looking at the nose and sketching out some general shapes then erasing till it looks good may work. Like, there is a curve here, lightly sketch a circle or a full curve, it is kind of a trapezoid overall feel draw a trapezoid. Draw those shapes till it seems well positioned as to where it should be on the face. Then lightly draw over these shapes using them as visual guides, all the while staring back and forth between the book and the reference image. For the face proportions, I think the line method I used with the eyes would help, if the eyes look great, then use them as a unit of measurement to kinda measure the face, lightly line it then do a few more, erase whichever one isn’t is. If it is close but still off, draw 3 more lines, two inside and one outside, erase all but the closest. Repeat.
I used to play rpgmaker games all the time, I love them so much and they will always hold a dear spot in my heart. They also hold a tiny couple gigs of hard disc space on my laptop, and my own abandoned game files will always be a distant dream to finish something of substance and release it for free. So, all of today’s shout outs are games that are available for free (Windows only) and were made with rpgmaker.
- Ib; oh man! I am pretty sure everyone in the rpgmaker community knows of most of these, but everyone knows about Ib! Little girl gets trapped in the world of a weird artists paintings and sculptures in a museum. She has to solve puzzles and explore to escape. Such as, giving an ant a painting of itself. Or running away from mannequins, avoiding the shadows on the wall, otherwise claws may reach out and take you. It is highly recommended by everyone I know that plays these types of games, plus I recommend it too! If you don’t want to play, you probably could find a huge number of Let’s Plays of it on YouTubers. Or you could download it from here.
- Schuld (English Translation); it has been awhile since I played Schuld. But I do remember the body parts falling off, the people who sell their body parts to those that are sick so that they can eat etc. It is a really dark setting. It was originally in german only, but then someone went along and translated it. So you can now grab that download from here.
- Yume Nikki; trippy bicycle girl in a dream diary thing anyone? It has so much fan art and almost a cult like following. Probably because it is hecka trippy weird. It can be downloaded from here. If you like weird, surreal ish stuff, go give it a try. Again, it is free so go wild!
- Middens; and then there is middens. While Yume Nikki is, as far as I can remember. A little lighter graphically? Middens is almost straight up scary disturbing really bad depression fueld drug trip. But, visually being this way is a really good reason to give it a shot, give it 15 minutes, if you don’t enjoy it, you will still be able to appreciate it. So download it from here.
- It Moves; I have not played through much of It Moves, probably because I always die when a giant floating head gasm scary monster thing jumps me in the underground right at the beginning ish area! But, based on just that bit alone, I have re-downloaded it and will be trying to “get good” and beat it. If you want to give it a try, it is about a small boy and scary stuff from what I remember. download here.
- Stray Cat Crossing; This is the only game on this list that isn’t free. But it is really cheap and well made! I can’t rightfully describe it (I guess none of my descriptions really have described much?) so go watch this trailer and then decide if it is worth it. It can be purchased for like $3 on Steam!
Now onto music, what should you listen to. Oh! I know!
- “From a Closet in Norway (Oslo Blues)” – You+Me (2014)
- “Kill the DJ” – Green Day (2012)*(such an addicting song…)
- “R U Mine?” – Arctic Monkeys (2013)